Tuesday 21 October 2014

Baby (or toddler) utensils



Hi Mamas!
I had a spare half an hour to blog and didn't know what to get into with such a small timeline, so here is a quick post on baby utensils.





As you probably know, we did Baby-Led Weaning with our first baby, now 16months and since maybe his 12th month we've started introducing utensils.  As baby spoons and forks are usually long to help the feeding from the parents, I had a hard time to find something with no metal (personal preference) and that would fit well in my baby's hand as well as be short enough to be easily brought to his mouth on his own.  I ended up just looking through the tons of stuff we got given at the baby shower and never opened (as I wasn't feeding my baby purees) and found some Fisher Price utensils.  Those ended up being perfect!  Here's why I love them: they're short and their handle is the right size (so easy to use for small hands!!), they're BPA-free and they're in plastic.





We also tried the Boon Benders Adaptable Utensils which also fit great in a little one's hand and they are also very short, perfect for a toddler to handle.  The company says that they use a sharper angle for early stages, straight (no angle) for advanced stages, that they're soft, with easy-grip handles, and BPA, PVC & phthlate free. Perfect! I love these too, but they are a bit more expensive.The angle adjustment I think is very interesting and might be useful especially with babies that are having a harder time to get use to using utensils by missing the mouth all the time or having restrictions in their movements. (OTs use bended utensils with adults very often!)

As an OT, again, one of my goals is to help my clients be independent in their ev'ryday activities, in their environment.  Therefore feeding independence is important to me and these utensils are really helping to get our baby (now more a toddler!!!) on his way.

Well, I think my time is up, so hope you enjoyed reading and don't be shy to comment or suggest ideas of future blogs either here, on the facebook page (Ergo Mama V) or on my twitter (@ergomamav) or Instagram (@ergomamav).

Thanks for reading!
V

No comments:

Post a Comment