Friday 11 April 2014

Lollacup




Today I want to write about the Lollacup.  My baby being 10 months old, I realize that there will be so much more to discover about this cup and eventually write about, so I'll have to make a promise to you that in 6months to a year, I'll come back and add on to this review or adjust my thoughts to incorporate how this cup grew with our baby.  For now, I'll review the cup as far as what I've seen with our little one as well as my first impressions.  As a new mama and a pediatric OT that deals with feeding issues, here is what I think:

The Lollacup, BPA and Phthalate free, is what some call a sippycup... but with a straw.  This one in particular could be called a sippy cup, as one of the great things about it, is that it can be tilted to the side (just like a regular sippy cup) and you'll still be able to drink from it.  The weighted straw technology, makes it so that the bottom of the straw follows the liquid - Awesome!  Also, as my baby is just learning to use a straw, one of the big thing was also that it's easy to suck from, takes minimum effort (not much resistance).  Before I found the Lollacup, I had tried another company that has a similar technology and I had a hard time getting liquid out of it myself and when I would, it was just a tinny little bit... not impressed!  I felt that my baby wouldn't learn to suck from a straw this way, as it was too hard to get something in return and when he would get it, it wouldn't be enough to keep him motivated... although it would certainly work his sucking muscles!!!!! hehehe which all kidding aside, are very real and important, it's just that it's no fun for a baby to learn that way!

The Lollacup is also very cute and easy to use.  There's removable handles so you can put it in a cup holder, if needed, or keep them on for ease of use with baby.  The downside is that this cup is not spill proof like other sippy cup that you can throw across the room and not a drop will get by the tight seal! hehe For us, we just use it for water, and at meal time, so not a big deal if it makes a spill.  The cleaning of the cup and straw is also very easy with the brush they provide, as again, we only use water in it, so no big deal so far!





I have to stop right here and make sure you don't expect a baby younger then 9months old to be able to use a straw.  Some may learn this skill really early on, but usually this is learned around 9-12 months.  I personally started a little bit early (around 6 months) because I didn't want to use a traditional sippy cup (a speech-language pathologist would back me up on this, as it's not the best thing for speech to be used for too long - maybe a few months and then you need to transition). Here we drink from an open cup and with the Lollacup.  Both should definitely be practiced around this age (open cup and straw), as these skills are the ones that will make baby an independant drinker (bottles and sippy cups are only a transition stage).  Don't get me wrong, our little one still drinks his milk from a bottle, although we're looking into transitioning around 12months.  Past 12 months, breastfeeding is of course encouraged for milk, if possible and if not, the nightime milk feed can still be given in a bottle.  If you want more info on this subject, contact me, as these are of course just guidelines, and might not fit for ev'ryone! This is not meant to make anyone feel bad! We are all learning mamas here!

To get back to the Lollacup...Overall, we love the Lollacup so far and for the use we make of it.  You personally have to see what your looking for in this kind of cup and make the decision for yourself if this suits your needs!  We purchased the Lolacup at Lil' Tulip's in the States, but I've seen it on Sugglebugz website (Canadian and has lots of cool baby products).  Although more expensive in Canada, I still would buy more!

Thanks for reading!
V

Links:
http://www.lollaland.com
http://www.snugglebugz.ca/lollacup-sippy-cup.html
http://www.liltulips.com/Lollacup-Straw-Sippy-Cup-as-seen-on-Sharks-Tank_p_2089.html

No comments:

Post a Comment